Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187)
This is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia.
You might be able to get this visa if you:
- have been nominated by an approved Australian employer for a job in regional Australia
- are younger than 45 years of age*, unless you are exempt
- meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, unless you are exempt
- apply under the stream for which you were nominated.
* From 1 July 2017, a maximum age of 45 years at the time of application will apply to Direct Entry stream applicants. A maximum age requirement of 50 at the time of application will continue to apply to Temporary Residence Transition stream applicants.
This visa involves a two-step process:
- Nomination by an approved Australian employer; then
- Visa application under the nominated stream.
The visa has three streams:
1. The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for Subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with the same nominating employer.
2. The Direct Entry stream is for:
- People who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia, or
- Temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
To apply for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa, you must nominate an occupation on the ANZSCO Skill level 1-3, which is a very broad list encompassing over 600 occupations. From March 2018, the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List , with added occupations will apply instead.
3. The Agreement stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.
Your bridge to regional Australia
The 187 visa allows the holder to reside permanently in Australia and to travel to and from the country an unlimited number of times within a five-year period beginning from the date of grant. Holders will be able to enrol in tertiary study and will be eligible for Medicare. To qualify for this visa, you must be sponsored by an employer based in regional Australia – broadly defined as any area not in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong or Melbourne. Holders of a 187 visa may be entitled to apply for Australian citizenship in due time and subject to certain requirements.
Unlike other permanent visas, a Subclass 187 visa can be cancelled if you do not commence work with your employer or if you do not stay with the employer for at least 2 years. If this is due to circumstances beyond your control, visa cancellation will be unlikely.
Intelligent, forward-thinking migration support
Based on the Gold Coast, Swift Migration Australia’s migration agents help people around the world navigate their own path to residency in Australia. Whether for business or to relocate your family, we can provide the advice and guidance you need at every step from initial inquiries through to appeals.
We understand the difficulty involved in navigating the visa application process. Our consultants bring a depth of experience to each case, working intelligently to deliver the optimal available outcome for each applicant. Choose the right guide for your journey to Australia and find out how an agent from Swift Migration Australia could assist you.
For more information, please call (07) 5526 6869 or contact us via our enquiry form and one of our staff will be in touch. Should you be unable to meet the criteria immediately, we can advise you on steps to make migration possible in the future.