Business Skills visas
The Investment Program includes the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Visa Subclass 188. This visa allows holders to undertake a range of entrepreneurial and business activities in Australia and is intended for individuals looking to make a significant contribution to the Australian economy.
Family members including a married or de facto partner and children or step-children may be included on the application at the time of lodgement and may travel with you to Australia. Family members who have been granted a visa may study and work while in Australia.
Categorising the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Visa
Five different steams of the 188 visa are available, each designed for a different kind of applicant:
1. Business Innovation stream – For people with business skills who want to establish, develop and manage a new or existing business in Australia.
2. Investor stream – For people who want to make a designated investment of at least AUD 1.5 million in an Australian state or territory and maintain business and investment activity in Australia.
3. Significant Investor stream – For people who are willing to invest at least AUD 5 million into complying investments in Australia and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia.
4. Premium Investor stream – For people who are willing to invest at least AUD 15million into complying investments in Australia and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia.
5. Entrepreneur stream – For people who have a funding agreement from a third party for at least AUD 200,000 to undertake a complying entrepreneur activity that is proposed to lead to either the commercialisation of a product or service in Australia or the development of a business in Australia.
To be eligible to apply for the Business Innovation stream or the Investor stream, you must score a minimum of 65 points in the points test. This require does not apply if you are making an application for the Significant Investor stream, the Premium Investor stream, the Entrepreneur stream, the Business Innovation Extension stream, or Significant Investor Extension stream. Points are awarded based on a number of factors such as the applicant’s age, ability in the English language, formal qualifications, investment or business experience, personal or business assets and others.
The Subclass 188 visa is a temporary visa, which can lead to eligibility for a permanent Business Innovation and Investment visa Subclass 888. All 188 visas are valid for a period of four years and three months from the date of grant, which may be extended under an extension stream for an additional two years in some cases. The number of extensions allowed depends on the specific stream your visa is granted under. Swift Migration Australia can assist with the extension application process. Provisional visa holders in the Business Innovation stream may apply for a single extension, while provisional visa holders in the Significant Investor stream may apply for up to two extensions. You may be required to prove that you are likely to meet the criteria for a permanent subclass 888 visa in the future in order to qualify for an extension.
Discuss your case today
Start a conversation with the migration agents at our Gold Coast office to find out how we could support you. Contact Swift Migration Australia today on (07) 5526 6869 or through our contact page.