The Temporary Partner visa (Subclass 820) & Permanent Partner visa (Subclass 801)

This visa allows you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of:

The temporary Partner visa (Subclass 820) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (Subclass 801). You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.

Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart. You lodge an application form for your temporary and pay an application charge, then lodge an application form for a permanent visa.

The temporary Partner visa (Subclass 820) is a temporary visa valid from the date of grant until such time as a verdict is rendered on your permanent Partner visa (Subclass 801). Dependent children and stepchildren may be included in the visa application.

Applicants in a long term relationship (greater than three years in duration or two years with a dependent child) will be granted the permanent Partner visa (Subclass 801) immediately after the temporary Partner visa (Subclass 820). Both visas are applied for simultaneously and with payment of a single fee. For couples not immediately eligible for the permanent Partner visa (Subclass 801), being granted the temporary Partner visa (Subclass 820) entitles you to be assessed for the permanent visa roughly two years after lodging your application. This assessment will require further documentation.

What the visa allows you to do

Holders of a temporary Partner visa (Subclass 820) are permitted to work and study in Australia and may enter and exit the country and unlimited number of times throughout the duration of the visa. Holders may also enrol in Medicare and can access up to 510 hours of free English language tuition provided by the Adult Migrant English Program.

Upon being granted a permanent Partner visa (Subclass 801), you will be eligible for some social security payments and will be able to sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence. You may enter and exit the country an unlimited number of times in a five-year period, after which you will need a Resident Return visa to re-enter the country.

The right choice for your future

Swift Migration Australia is equipped to provide you and your spouse or partner with the support you both need to successfully navigate your path to a new life in Australia.

Should you be unable to meet the criteria immediately, we can advise you on steps to make migration possible in the future. Please complete our enquiry form, so we can assist you further.

Start a conversation with the migration agents at our Gold Coast office on (07) 5526 6869 or send us your questions through our enquiry form and one of our staff members will be in touch.

Document checklists:

Visa Applicant