Employer Nomination Scheme visa Subclass 186
This is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers who want to work in Australia.
You might be able to get this visa if you:
- have been nominated by an approved Australian employer
- are younger than 45 years of age*, unless you are exempt
- meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, unless you are exempt
- apply under the stream for which you were nominated.
* A maximum age requirement of 50 at the time of application will continue to apply to Temporary Residence Transition stream applicants who held or had applied for a Subclass 457 visa on or before 18 April 2017.
This visa involves a two-step process:
- Nomination by an approved Australian employer; then
- Visa application under the nominated stream.
The visa has three streams:
- The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for Subclass 457 or Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa holders who have worked for three** years, while holding a subclass 457 or TSS visa, in the same occupation with the same nominating employer.
** Two years’ work with the same employer applies under transitional arrangements (Grandfathering arrangements) for applicants who held or had applied for a Subclass 457 visa on or before 18 April 2017.
- The Direct Entry stream is for:
- People who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia, or
- Temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
The applicant’s occupation must be listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
- The Agreement streamis for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.
The ideal choice for skilled workers
The 186 visa permits the holder to stay in Australia indefinitely, enrol in study or take up work, and can enrol in Medicare. You can travel to and from Australia an unlimited number of times within a five-year period beginning from the date of grant. The 186 visa is a recognised pathway to citizenship for eligible individuals, and allows you to sponsor eligible relatives (married or de facto partners and dependent children up to the age of 23) for permanent residence, but each additional family member will attract additional fees.
Applicants must be sponsored by an approved Australian employer for their application to be successful. If you require assistance navigating the list of eligible occupations or have any other questions about the employer sponsorship process, please don’t hesitate to start a conversation with a Swift Migration Australia representative.
Supporting your application
Swift Migration Australia offers our clients prudent, intelligent guidance through every step of the visa application. We tailor our services to better meet your needs, ensuring you receive precisely the support you require throughout the migration process.
For more information, please call (07) 5526 6869 or submit your questions via our online enquiry form. Start a conversation with the visa agents at our Gold Coast office and allow us to help you through this transitional period in your life. Should you be unable to meet the criteria immediately, we can advise you on steps to make migration possible in the future.