Partner, Child, Parent & Other Family Visas

The family visas program includes visas for Parents, Children, Spouses or other relatives of Australian citizens or permanent residents.

Prospective Marriage Visa subclass 300

Also known as the “fiancée” visa, this visa is for a person who is engaged, but not yet married, to an Australian Citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

The visa must be applied for outside Australia. Once granted, it allows the applicant to travel to Australia and marry their fiancé within 9 months.

Visa holders are permitted to work and study in Australia and to enter and leave the country as many times as they like for the duration of the visa.

Document Checklist

Partner / Spouse Visa subclass 309/100 or 820/801

This is a visa for people who are married to, or are in a de-facto relationship with, an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. It can be applied for in or outside of Australia.

These temporary and permanent components of these visas are applied for simultaneously and fall under a single application fee. Please contact Swift Migration Australia to determine the correct visa for you.

Document Checklist

Parent / Contributory Parent / Aged Parent Visa subclasses 103, 143, 804 and 864

These visas allow parents to permanently migrate to Australia to join their children who are living in Australia. The visa subclass will specify whether the applicant should be overseas or in Australia at the time of application. Requirements include having more than half of their children permanently settled in Australia, and the sponsoring child may be required to provide an Assurance of Support. The applicant’s age will also determine which visa they are most suited for. Swift Migration Australia’s migration agents are equipped to help you build the strongest case for the most relevant parent visa. Please contact us to learn more.

The new temporary Parent visa will be introduced in late 2017, which will allow Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand Citizens to sponsor their parents (biological or adoptive) and step-parents to stay in Australia for up to five years at a time.

A step-parent can only apply if they are still in a married/de facto relationship with a biological parent of the sponsoring Australian child. Only one set of parents per household (that is maximum two people) can be sponsored for this visa at a time.

Unlike the other Parent visas, the Balance of Family test does not apply to this new visa. To be granted a temporary sponsored parent visa, a person must satisfy a number of requirements, including:

  • having their Australian child approved as a sponsor prior to making the visa application
  • meet identity, health and character requirements
  • not having an outstanding public health debt in Australia.
  • They will also be required to hold, and maintain, health insurance, from an Australian provider, valid for their intended period of stay in Australia.

There will be no financial bond for this visa. Once granted, the visa will be valid for either three or five years. Applicants can apply for, and be granted, this visa more than once but the maximum stay is 10 years in total.

Child Visas

There are a number of child visas available to families looking to gain temporary or permanent residency for their children:

  • Child (Permanent) Visa Subclass 802 / 101 – For an overseas child with a parent or step-parent who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Whether the child is inside or outside Australia will determine which visa is suitable for them. Full time students up to the age of 25 are also eligible for one of these visas, as well as dependents 18 or older who are unable to work due to a disability.

Orphan Relative (Permanent) Visa Subclass 837 / 117

For an overseas child whose parents are deceased, permanently incapacitated or if the parents’ whereabouts are unknown.

Children located in Australia at the time of application are required to apply for the subclass 837 visa, while children outside Australia at the same time are required to apply for the subclass 117 visa. The child is required to be sponsored by a relative (brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle or step-equivalent older than the age of 18 who currently holds New Zealand citizenship or Australian citizenship or permanent residency) and must be unpartnered.

Dependant Child Visa Subclass 445

For an overseas child whose parents hold a temporary Partner Visa and are working towards permanent residency.

The child must be sponsored by the same person who sponsored their parent. They must either be younger than 18 years, incapacitated for work due to the total or partial loss of bodily or mental functions, or wholly financially dependent on the parent who holds the temporary Partner visa.

Adoption Visa Subclass 102

For an overseas child who has been or is about to be adopted by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Please note that if the child is under the age of 18 at the time of application but will turn 18 before their application is decided that they will not be eligible for the subclass 102 visa.

Comprehensive support throughout the visa application process

Our migration agents have successfully prepared many family and spouse visa applications from all around the world. We are committed to providing reliable and accurate services that will give your visa application the best prospect of success.

Start a conversation with Swift Migration Australia today at our Gold Coast office on (07) 5526 6869 to find out how we can support you. You can also submit your questions via our enquiry form.